Solomon Islands Finance

Mar 22 2018

FAQ – California New Employee Registry

#nanny #taxes #california


Google Translate Disclaimer

This Google translation feature, provided on the Employment Development Department (EDD) website, is for informational purposes only.

The web pages currently in English on the EDD website are the official and accurate source for the program information and services the EDD provides. Any discrepancies or differences created in the translation are not binding and have no legal effect for compliance or enforcement purposes. If any questions arise related to the information contained in the translated website, please refer to the English version.

The EDD is unable to guarantee the accuracy of this translation and is therefore not liable for any inaccurate information or changes in the formatting of the pages resulting from the translation application tool.

Forms and publications provided on the EDD website cannot be translated using Google Translate. Some forms and publications are translated by the department in other languages. For those forms, visit the Online Forms and Publications section.

FAQs – California New Employee Registry

All California employers are required to report information about new employees to the California New Employee Registry. This includes all businesses, state and local government employers, nonprofit organizations, and household employers. regardless of the number of employees.

  • Which employees must be reported?

Every newly hired or rehired employee must be reported to the California New Employee Registry. This includes employees of all ages, those who work less than a full day, part-time and seasonal employees, and those who discontinue their employment prior to the 20th day of work.

If you acquire an ongoing business and employ any of the former owner s workers, these employees are considered new hires and should be reported to the New Employee Registry. If you change your entity type (sole proprietorship to partnership, partnership to corporation, etc.), it is not necessary to report the workers that continue working for you.

  • Are there any employees who do not have to be reported?

No, all employee must be reported. There are no exceptions.

For the purpose of the Registry, any employee that is rehired after a separation of at least 60 consecutive days must be reported within 20 days of the start-of-work date, which is the first day of work.

  • What date do I use to report my newly hired or rehired employee s start-of-work date?

The start-of-work date is the first day your newly hired or rehired employee started working.

  • Where do I find additional information on New Employee Registry electronic filing?

For additional information:

Employers may use any of the following to report new employee information:

  • Submit a Report of New Employee(s) (DE 34) electronically with, e-Services for Business. For information on reporting new employees online, visit FAQ – e-Services for Business .
  • Submit a paper Report of New Employee(s) (DE 34), there are several ways to obtain the form:
    • Download a fill-in DE 34 .
    • Order through the Online Forms and Publications page.
    • Call our Taxpayer Assistance Center at 1-888-745-3886.
    • Visit your nearest Employment Tax Office .
    • Print your data directly from your computer to the DE 34 by following the Print Specifications .
  • Submit a copy of the employee s W-4 form, but you must add the employee s start-of-work date, your California employer payroll tax account number and federal employer identification number (FEIN) to the W-4.
  • Create your own form with all of the required information.

Mail or fax your paper DE 34 to:

Employment Development Department
PO Box 997016 MIC 96
West Sacramento CA 95799-7016

You are required by law to report the following:

  • California employer payroll tax account number
  • Branch Code (complete only if employer was assigned a Branch Code number)
  • Federal employer identification number
  • Business name and address
  • Contact person and phone number
  • First name, middle initial, and last name
  • Social Security number
  • Home address
  • Start-of-work date
  • Can I use my Quarterly Contribution Return and Report of Wages (Continuation) (DE 9C) to report to the New Employee Registry?

No. The DE 9C is a quarterly report of all employees. The correct reporting form is the DE 34, which meets the requirements of the law for reporting new employees within 20 calendar days of the employee s first day of work.

  • How do I report a large number of employees?

You may send the information to the New Employee Registry using, e-Services for Business. For additional information, review the Electronic Filing Guide for the New Employee Registry (DE 340) .

  • How much time do I have to report a new employee?

You must report the new employee information no later than 20 calendar days from the employee s first day of work. Employers who report electronically must submit two monthly transmissions which are not less than 12 days or more than 16 days apart.

  • Must I report a newly hired employee who quits before the New Employee Registry report is due?

Yes. Because wages were earned, a New Employee Registry report must be submitted. Even though the employment period was short, the reported information may be the key to locating a noncustodial parent.

  • When an employee leaves my employment, do I have to report it?

No. You only have to report when an employee begins his or her employment with you.

  • What type of penalty is charged if the report is late?

Employers who fail to report the hiring or rehiring of an employee, as required and within the time required, may be charged a penalty of $24 for each failure to report or $490 if the failure to report is an intentional agreement between the employer and employee to not supply the required information or to supply a false or incomplete report.

  • What if one of my employees works in California, but doesn t live in California?

You must report all employees who work in California, regardless of where they live.

  • What if I employ workers in more than one state?

Multistate employers that file electronically may elect to report all new hires to one state in which they have employees. The State of California encourages multistate employers to report California employees to the California New Employee Registry. Reporting the information to California s New Employee Registry will help employers reduce unemployment insurance costs by detecting and preventing unemployment insurance overpayments and fraud. See the “Multistate Employer Issues” section on the New Hire Reporting – Answers to Employers Questions page for information on how to notify the federal Department of Health and Human Services Office of Child Support Enforcement office. Multistate employers electing to report all new hires to California must comply with California s program requirements. Employers may file electronically with e-Services for Business .

  • Where can I get additional information?

Contact the Taxpayer Assistance Center at 1-888-745-3886 or visit your local Employment Tax Office .

Written by admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *