Solomon Islands Finance

Nov 13 2017

Information for Homeowners #non #web #based #property #management #software, #information #for #homeowners


Information for Homeowners

FEMA works with communities to produce flood maps that reflect current risks and to provide a sound basis for flood risk communication.

The following page provides information on accessing Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs), map amendment requests, and links to additional resources for better understanding risk.

Fast Facts

  • Did you know that homes in the so-called “100-year” floodplain have a 26% chance of flooding over a 30-year period — the length of a typical mortgage?
  • Did you know that flood insurance is available to all homeowners—even those located outside high-risk areas? Know the Facts .

How To View And Obtain Flood Maps

You may view the effective maps and other NFIP products through the FEMA Flood Map Service Center (MSC). Your local Community Map Repository, usually located in the planning and zoning office, also has copies of flood maps. Please contact the FEMA Map Information eXchange to determine the location of your Community Map Repository.

Change My Flood Zone Designation

Property owners who do not believe their location or building is in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), an area impacted by the base flooding event, can request a map amendment. FEMA uses the map amendment process to collect, review, and determine if requests result in a change in flood zone.

An amendment request is submitted either as a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) application, which applies properties having still the natural grade of land, or Letter of Map Revision based on Fill (LOMR-F) for when the land was raised by fill.

Fill is defined as material placed that raises the grade of land to or above the BFE. The common construction practice of removing unsuitable material and backfilling is not considered fill if it does not alter the existing natural grade of land, which is at or above the base flood elevation. Also, fill that is placed before the date of the first flood map showing the area in a SFHA is considered natural grade.

Applicants can use the Online LOMC. an internet-based tool, to easily request a flood map amendment. This tool is a convenient way for applicants to upload all information and supporting documentation and check the status of their application online. Users can submit LOMC requests through this tool instead of downloading paper forms and submitting via mail.

Frequently Asked Questions

For additional information about mapping and understanding your community’s flood risk, visit the Frequently Asked Questions webpage for homeowners.

Get Assistance

For flood insurance-related questions, contact FloodSmart at 1-888-379-9531.

For flood mapping-related questions, please contact a Map Specialist at the FEMA Map Information eXchange through the following methods:

Subscribe to receive flood hazard mapping updates via email.

Written by admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *